Mumbai continues to be the dream destination for job seekers in India

As India's financial capital Mumbai has over the past 50 years attracted migrant workers in search of jobs.

With the rise and growth of other cities - Delhi, Chennai, Bangalore, Pune, Kolkata, etc there has been a gradual rise in the number of people going to these cities for jobs but Mumbai still continues to occupy the No1 position when it comes to being a job destination.

Rahul Jadhav, a sociologist said, "The trend since the industrial revolution has been constant that people from rural areas attain education and then move to urban areas in search of jobs. Mumbai as a city has always been the place where dreams come true in the minds of people. Bollywood - the dream land being based in the city adds to its charm."

Yogen Prasad who owns a juice centre in the CST area of Mumbai said, "I came to Mumbai five years ago and wanted to be an actor, things did not work out and so I had to find another job. In Mumbai you can sell anything as the city always ends up having a market. I started with fruits and now I have a juice centre."

Nirmal Pande who works as a salesman at a handbag store in Bandra said, "I hail from UP and came to Mumbai 16 years ago, here you always end up getting a place to sleep and food to eat. I started as a runaway as I didn't get food at home, after getting fed up of begging I decided to start doing a decent job and got my first job as a mechanic. From there I have come a long way and am proud that I earn my living decently."

Rupa Mani who is a city based psychologist says, "The way the media and popular culture market Mumbai, it always inevitably ends up being a go to place for migrant workers and this is true not only in the poor and lower class but also the upper middle class. Mumbai's image as a 'safe' city for women also works."

Gauri Lalwani, an aspiring TV actress and model said, "I came to Mumbai to become an actress. Yeah it is tough but not impossible. I was able to do small roles in a number of films and am hoping to make it big soon."

Firoz Khan, a media professional said, "I had a choice between Mumbai and Bangalore but I chose Mumbai as the transport system here and growth in job opportunities are much better."

http://www.dnaindia.com/mumbai/1897216/report-mumbai-continues-to-be-the-dream-destination-for-job-seekers-in-india

Comments